School IPM Working Group
This regional group, consisting of 15 representatives from land-grant IPM programs, government, private industry, and nonprofits from 11 northeastern states, met in Connecticut for first time in fall 2009. They coordinate with school IPM working groups in the three other regions and with the national school PMSP group. The group has gathered information from each northeastern state by using the EPA School IPM Report Card. They also conducted an IPM demonstration at a school district in each of two states where school IPM programs were lacking. To accomplish this goal, they leveraged Center funds with EPA’s PRIA 2 Partnership grant, obtained nationally. They have drafted priorities for research, extension, and regulations for the Northeast and helped to lead a session on schools at the 2009 International IPM Symposium. Members encourage partnerships with diverse stakeholders from community settings such as landscape, turf, schools, homes, structures, gardens, urban forests, and public health issues.
- Membership: Working group leader and members.
- Priorities and Reports: View the priority-setting documents and reports generated by this working group.
- Advance IPM in Schools Nationwide: A new Pest Management Strategic Plan aims for full implementation of IPM in all of our schools by 2015
- Collaborative to Promote IPM in Child Care Facilities
- Green Cleaning Toolkit
- PA IPM Training Material for Child Care Professionals
- Integrated Pest Management for Child Care Centers: A Video Series
IPM Best Practices
- Best Management Practices for School IPM: This online resource provides easy to use information to assist implementation of IPM on school property and facilitate reduced dependence on pesticides.
- School IPM (PPTX): Presentation from UNH Cooperative Extension (PDF version, 12 MB)
- Pest Identification Center for Household Pests in the Northeast US
- The IPM Minute: Quick tips from the School IPM’s YouTube channel
IPM Curricula for Staff and Students
- IPM Brochure for Teachers (PDF)
- IPM Literacy Plan for K–12 Education (PDF)
- No More Pests! IPM for Teachers and Kids Facebook Page
- School IPM Curriculum, part of Maine’s School IPM site
- Resources for School Nurses: School nurses play a critical role in integrated pest management. Take action to safeguard children’s health in your schools.
IPM Evaluations/Checklists/Management Plans
- IPM for Schools—A Program of an Environmental Management System: A framework of documents to help schools implement an IPM operations and management plan
Pesticides and Health
- Growing Up with Pesticides: Long-term studies of the effects of pesticides and other environmental chemicals on the young brain. Article published in Science magazine, August 2013.
Turf/Playing Fields IPM
- IPM Protocols for Turf on School Properties and Sports Fields: A UMass Extension publication